This is a legally binding contract between you and The Universal Design Project. Please make sure you read it, because it is important. We’ve tried to make it as clear as possible, but we welcome your feedback to [email protected] if you have suggestions or questions.
We’re going to use some shorthand to make this easier to read. When we say “site,” we mean SafeScore.org and any subdomains, and the services offered through them. When we say “we,” “us,” or “our,” we mean The Universal Design Project. When we say “your content,” we mean any text, sound, graphics or other material which you post, upload, or otherwise share on the site; similarly, when we say “our content,” we mean the copyrightable text, sound, graphics, and other material owned by The Universal Design Project. And when we say “terms,” we mean these terms of service.
Accepting these terms
Please read these terms before using the site. If you do not agree to these terms, you may not join the site. If we make material changes to these terms, we’ll let you know either through the site or via email (at the email address you provide). If you do not agree to those changes at any time, you may send a request to cancel your account to [email protected]. If we do not hear from you within ten days of any notification of changes, the revised terms will apply to you.
Copyright and intellectual property
You retain ownership of all content you post, upload to, or otherwise share on the site. However, by posting, uploading, or sharing your content, you grant us a non-exclusive, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to access, use, and display your content in connection with the site and services we provide.
In addition, the site provides features that allow you to share your content with others. There are many things that others may do with that content, including copying it, modifying it, and re-sharing it. So, please consider carefully what you choose to share and with whom; we take no responsibility for that activity.
If you delete your account, any comments or content that you contributed will remain on the site, and will not be deleted.
All other content, including the selection, compilation, arrangement and presentation of all materials, are copyrighted by us, and are protected by US and international laws. Use of our content without our express prior written permission is strictly prohibited.
UniversalDesign.org, SafeScore.org, The Universal Design Project, UD SafeScore, and the related logos on this site and our products are trademarks of The Universal Design Project. Our trademarks may not be used in connection with any product or service without our express written permission.
The Universal Design Project deals with copyright infringement in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
You may not post, upload, or otherwise place any content or information on the site that belongs to a third party, unless you have the legal right to do so. If you believe that any such information or content has been posted on the site, please send a notice of copyright infringement containing the following information to the designated agent at the address below.
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
- Contact information for the notifying party, including name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Upon notification of claimed infringement, we will respond expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity. We will also notify the person who posted, uploaded, or otherwise placed the allegedly infringing material on the site that we have removed or disabled access to such material.
If you believe that material has been removed improperly, you must send a written counter notification to the agent, and include:
- A physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification.
- Your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if your address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which we may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided the original notification or an agent of such person.
Upon receipt of a counter notification complying with these requirements, we will promptly provide the original reporter with a copy of the counter notification, and inform that person that we may replace the removed material or cease disabling access to it if we do not receive notice within ten business days that the original reporter is seeking a court order to prevent further infringement of the material at issue.
PO Box 570
Harrisonburg, VA 22803
This site has features designed to help people collaborate together; as such, we have some ground rules which you must adhere to when using the site. You agree not to do any of the following:
- Threaten other users with violence.
- Use hateful, abusive, harassing, libelous, or obscene language towards other users.
- Post any material that infringes or violates any third party’s copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, or other proprietary or property right;
- Post any material which promotes illegal activity, could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any applicable law or regulation;
- Use the site to send spam, chain letters, junk mail, or any other type of unsolicited mass email;
- Use the site to distribute viruses or other harmful, disruptive, or destructive files;
- Use or attempt to use another person’s account;
- Disrupt or interfere with the security of, or otherwise abuse, the site, or any servers or networks connected to the site;
- Attempt to obtain unauthorized access to the site;
- Impersonate another person;
- Share with any minor any content or materials inappropriate for children, or allow any minor access to such materials;
- Systematically harvest data from the site, or programmatically register accounts on the site.
- You further agree that you are responsible for your actions in relation to the site, and for any communications transmitted under your account; that you will comply with all laws relating to the transmission of technical data or software exported from the United States; and that you will comply with all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations, including without limitation those related to privacy, data collection, and email creation and delivery.
If it appears you have violated any of these rules, we may, in our sole discretion, remove any offending material or immediately limit or terminate your account.
Limitations of liability
Under no circumstances — including, without limitation, negligence — shall we be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, resulting from (1) the use or the inability to use the site; (2) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services; (3) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (4) loss of profits, use, data or other intangibles, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages; (5) any product we offer through our site in which recommendations are given without an in-person consultation with monetary compensation that allows observation via physical presence. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless us, our officers, directors, employees, members, partners, agents, and suppliers, and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, employees, members, shareholders, partners, and agents, from any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the site, including but not limited to your violation of this agreement. We may, at our sole discretion, assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you. The assumption of such defense or control by us, however, shall not excuse any of your indemnity obligations.
Right to terminate
We may at any time decide to alter, amend, modify, or terminate the site, any functionality or portion of it, all in our sole discretion, and you understand that there is no guarantee that the site or any portion or functionality of it will continue to operate or be available for any particular period of time.
These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Virginia, without giving effect to its conflict of law provisions. You agree that you will bring any claim or cause of action arising out of your use of the site in the courts located within Harrisonburg, Virginia and you also agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of those courts. You agree that any claim or cause of action arising out of your use of the site or these terms must be filed within one year after such claim or cause of action arose or it shall be forever barred, notwithstanding any statute of limitations or other law to the contrary. If any provision contained in these terms is determined unenforceable, then such provision will be severed and replaced with a new provision that most closely reflects the intent of the original provision, and the remaining provisions of these terms will remain in full force and effect. No waiver of any provision of these terms shall be effective except pursuant to a written instrument signed by us expressly waiving compliance, and any such waiver shall be effective only in the specific instance and for the specific purpose stated in such writing. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and us as a result of these terms and/or your use of the site, regardless of our use of the terms “member,” “membership,” and/or “partner” for our services. You may not assign any right, interest, or benefit provided under these terms or through the site without our express prior written consent. These terms set forth the entire agreement between you and us, and supersede any and all prior communications, agreements and proposals, whether electronic, oral or written, between you and us with respect to the site and our services. A printed version of these terms and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to these terms and/or your use of the site to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.
Last updated: February 16, 2016